February 08, 2012

Self-guided holidays

Right after the Christmas and New Year holidays, we were greeted by the Chinese New Year holidays. And for folks working in KL, there was the Federal Territory Day break shortly after everyone started work after the Chinese New Year break. This was followed quickly by the Prophet Muhammad’s Birthday and Thaipusam holidays the last two days. That’s really one holiday after another. Little wonder than that people find it so difficult to get into the groove at work.

But holidays like this are also the best time for family get-together, perhaps a holiday away from home. And if you are like me who loves to travel independently instead of following tour groups, online travel guide is something I cannot live without. I will plan my itinerary with the help of travel website and get inside tips from those who’ve been there, done that. And of course, when deciding on which hotels to choose from the myriads of accommodation choices available, again, I’ll turn to hotel reviews online.

My criteria for accommodation choice is pretty simple – I don’t need hotels with fancy decorations, nor facilities such as fitness centre, business centre or different types of restaurants. My main criteria is that the room, and the bathroom and toilet, must be clean. Swimming pool is a must if I travel with the girls, but otherwise, I don’t mind a hotel without a pool too.

For those contemplating going it on your own for your next holiday, I’d say “Go for it!” so you have the freedom to do and see what you like, and decide on your own time to start and end each day, instead of being bound by the fixed travel itinerary. But make sure you plan well in advance to ensure you have an enjoyable holiday.

No comments: