April 25, 2011

Keukenhof

I’ve been to Amsterdam twice in the past, but never during spring, when Keukenhof, touted the most beautiful spring garden in the world, opens its doors to visitors. So when I found out that Keukenhof opens its doors on March 24 this year, two days later than my scheduled flight home, I postponed my trip home. It was just early days of spring, and most bulbs may not have blossomed, but if I missed it this round, I don’t know if I’d ever find myself in Amsterdam so close to Keukenhof opening dates.

Keukenhof used to be a hunting area in the 15th century, and herbs for the kitchen of the castle of Jacoba van Beieren were collected here; hence the name Keukenhof (the garden behind the kitchen). It occupies an area of 32 hectares, and contains 4.5 million tulips in 100 varieties. It is one of the most popular attractions in the Netherlands, and has clocked up more than 44 million visitors in the last 60 years.

I took but #58 from Schiphol Airport, and the journey to Keukenhof took about 35 minutes. The all-in ticket, which includes the entrance fees to Keukenhof, and return bus journey, costs €21.

The unassuming main entrance




Trees are still barren




Some of the seven inspirational gardens to showcase how different flower bulbs fit in any garden style



Orchid exhibition



Variety of tulips



Hyacinths


2 comments:

chanelwong said...

I was there back in 2000...it was beautiful...and nice walking around there...

MummyMin said...

I love how you arranged the photos of the flowers together, so lovely! :)