August 16, 2006

Otitis media

Last Sunday, I started feeling some pain in my left ear. It started as only mild pain and I didn't pay much attention to as it didn't bother me all that much. Later during the night, the pain became rather unbearable; it felt like my ear drum is being poked. I suspected that it's otitis media (infection of the middle ear) and quickly looked up some facts on it. The literature states that acute otitis media results from infection by viruses or bacteria, often as a complication of the common cold or of allergies and that it's more common in children than in adults. Hmmm, strange as I had no flu symptoms at all! Little Yiu Yiu has cough and runny nose so I suspected that I could have gotten the bug from her. That, or I hurt it during cleaning!Needless to say, I didn’t get much sleep that night as the pain was keeping me awake.

The next morning, I consulted my company's panel doctor who confirmed the diagnosis of otitis media. She was quite perplexed too as I didn't have the flu so she asked if anyone in the family is sick. I told her that Yiu Yiu is and she confirmed that one can get otitis media from someone else flu bug. I was given a 5-day course of Augmentin (which is safe for nursing mothers) and paracetamol for pain. The doctor said that the pain will gradually subside once the antibiotic takes effect to clear the infection. I was thinking to myself, "Gosh! How am I gonna live through another 5 days of such pain!" Quite frankly, the paracetamol didn't do much to relieve the pain.

Today is the 3rd day I'm on Augmentin and the pain seemed to have abated slightly. At least I'm functioning compared to the last 2 days! I also read that otitis media is common in children between 3 months and 3 years of age. I just cannot imagine how a small child can live with such pain. An adult like me is already crying for mercy, what more a helpless little child. I just pray that Yiu Yiu will never have to go through this experience. And now that the pain is slightly less, I hope I can catch up on some zzzZZZZ tonight.

2 comments:

jazzmint said...

ouchh...sure it's very pain, somemore can't see what's happening inside huh...get well soon, and thx for adding me to your blog :)

welcome to blogging world

Anonymous said...

My name is Cindy Floyd and i would like to show you my personal experience with Augmentin.

I suffered from Pseudofolliculitis behind my head for years and by chance I got Augmentin from Libya without any prescription. In Europe all the doctors that I consulted could not find solution for this problem so one day I just worked into a pharmacy in Libya and showed it to the Doctor in charge of the pharmacy who adviced me to take Augmentin. I was a bit hesitant but before my returning date (after 5 days) I noticed that all the bumps are drying. and now I'm very proud of my head.

Side Effects :
None.....Miracle drug…

I hope this information will be useful to others,
Cindy Floyd