November 03, 2011

Yiu Yiu’s 6th birthday

Yiu Yiu turned six on Tuesday. We asked her some time back and she had said that she didn’t want to celebrate it at school, so in my mind, I thought we’d just have a simple dinner celebration. When I asked her again a week before her birthday, she mentioned that she’d like to invite Victoria and Keon, two of her classmates, for her birthday. And so I thought perhaps we should organize a simple tea party at home. But I had been so busy that I neglected planning for the celebration and left it until the very last minute. And of course due to time constraint, it didn’t materialize. She was a tad disappointed that she couldn’t invite her friends but I made it up by promising that I’ll take her on a mother-daughter outing on her birthday, though it’s exam week!

We planned an early birthday celebration for her last Sunday night. It almost got cancelled coz I had a major meltdown with her just before we were scheduled to leave for dinner, and I ended up an extremely upset mummy and she, bawling in tears. Definitely spoilt the mood for the celebration.

Anyway, we eventually went ahead with dinner with my mum and siblings at Kennedy’s Grill @ Kota Damansara. I was planning to go either to Betty’s Midwest Kitchen or Nambawan when I discovered Kennedy’s Grill on Groupon’s website on Sunday afternoon itself. It looked like a decent restaurant so we decided to give it a try, and I must say, food was pretty good, though I think the portion was a tad too small.

 Mummy and daughter, having kissed and made up

 One for the family

 My two girls

 Oh no Yishen! Please don't touch the cake!

Yiu Yiu requested for the same durian cake I ordered for Yan Yan’s birthday but unfortunately, the baker was away for a few days. After some googling, I managed to order a durian mousse cake from here. It turned out to be such a delight!


The cake was light, the cream in-between the layers of cake was not too sweet nor rich, with lots of durian pulp. Highly recommended for durian lovers. A sweet ending to an eventful night!

11 comments:

cre8tone said...

Happy birthday sweetie!

chinnee (chinneeq@gmail.com) said...

Happy birthday to Yan Yan. She had a beautiful cosy birthday celebration :)

BuffaFly said...

so the cake cost RM150...? would you say it's worth the money? sounds rather pricey.

WK Liew said...

All turned out well that evening & I am sure she had a great day out with you too!!!

A Mom's Diary said...

prince & princess mum - thanks

chinnee - hehe...it's Yiu Yiu's birthday la, not Yan Yan

Buffafly - agree that it's rather pricey but considering that everyone gives the thumbs-up for it, I suppose it's worth it. Especially comparing this with the fondant decorated cake, which can easily set one back at least RM250-RM300!

WK - and she kept reminding me to not scold her on that day, so that she remains happy!

Kit said...

Happy birthday!!! You're as pretty as your Mummy :)

Wow, birthday cakes are really pricey now, ya?

I'm getting excited about his 6th birthday too since we'll be celebrating it back home!!!!!!

I think it's nice that Yiu Yiu wants to celebrate it in a small, meaningful way. Smart girl :)

A Mom's Diary said...

Kit - haha, thanks. I'm flattered, coz I think I looked haggard in the photo! For whole cakes, even the commercial ones from Secret Recipe etc costs RM80-90.

You're coming back again so soon? :-) For good?

Unknown said...

Happy belated birthday to yan yan! Victoria did mention the day before about a school celebration for yan yan, but I was too busy to follow up with her. Hey, nice family pic... First time I see your hubby pic, since all the birthday parties he is not there...

LittleLamb said...

Happy Happy Birthday to Yiu Yiu. and Congrats on her graduation from kindy too =)

Cynthia said...

Happy Birthday!! She's so sweet!! Oh yum! durian cake!!!!!!!

A Mom's Diary said...

Irene - haha, you got my girls mixed up. Yiu Yiu is the elder one :-) She just told me about the mini celebration in school - how her classmates sang Happy Birthday to her.

Little Lamb - the ceremony and mini concert is this week.

Cyn - thanks. The durian cake is indeed yummy.